Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Share Permissions

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:38:34 -0700

From: "Manuel Fernandes" <manuelf () hotmail com>
Full access at share level and permissions at the OS level would be the best recommended method to control security. However, if you have a few terabytes
of data (on a SAN or NAS) then you should consider creating a local group
and apply permissions to the folder. Then on the local group add the desired
groups/users from the domain. This will help if you decide to add remove
people or groups from the domain and avoid having to re-apply permissions to
all files, subdirectories, etc which can take you hours!

Hey, thanks for the good description, a little lightbulb went on over my head after I read that last sentence, I always wondered why some people did their permissions that way, it seemed overly complicated. I've always added the domain groups directly, now I think I see the point of doing it the other way. (although my network is small enough that there isn't any point since it won't make any speed difference)

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"All I want is a few minutes alone with the source code for the universe and a quick recompile."

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.
Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.
Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm