Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Share Permissions

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:29:21 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin Meade [mailto:ben () lanwest com au]

Just wondering in Win2K server, when I share a folder, I set the share
permissions to full access for everybody, and then control access using
the file permissions. (Basically cos it cuts down on administration, and
I'm lazy.) Are there any security issues running this way, or is it much
of a muchness?

  First of all, I presume that by "file" permissions, you mean "NTFS
permissions" -- which, of course, presumes that you're *using* NTFS.

  If all that's true, then you're probably okay.  The remaining risk is
that you may make shares visible and even mountable (even if all other
access is denied) to people whom you might prefer not even know they
exist.

David Gillett

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm