Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure Boot Manager

From: "herki" <herki () naex sk>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 23:21:39 +0200

     One way (the easiest), how to do this is to set both partitions
(windows) as hiden. If you boot from one of them, the other stay
unaccessible
and unvisible. Of course the one, you have booted from is visible.
    The problem is, if you have logged in as admin, you can change the
partition as unhidden or mount it another way. But if you haven't
administrator's rights, you cannot access it.
    Also the other way, how to access the hidden patition(s) is boot from a
bootable disk(floppy,CD) for ex. some mini linux distribution and set the
partition as unhidden. So it is good to have your bios setup under password
and booting enabled only from local disk(s).
    This works only on win2k(winNT) or higher, where OS switchs
between diffrent privileged processor levels.
    If you have NTFS partition(s), you should set "partition type id" from
7h(unhidden) to 17h(hidden) (from bh to 1bh on fat32 partition(s)) if you
are going to use some of the low level disk tools.
     If you cannot set all the things mentioned above, it is more secure to
crypt both disks.

 herki