Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: hidden processes

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:18:59 -0400

As a couple of untried thoughts, is 'ps' itself corrupted?  Will you get
the reight thing with full-path specification?  And you may want to
(briefly - it is a space hog) turn on process accounting and take a look
at that.

BTW:  What does "hidden from ps" mean?

Jim

Vlady wrote:

Hi,
One of my mashines is hacked and chkrootkit-0.40 tells me that I have 3
proccess hidden from "ps". All of my system binaries looks like beeing clean.
Using "netstat" I can see that there is not a lisenning servise other than the
services suppused to work on the machine.
I know that the best way to go further is to reinstall the machine but first I
would like to understand more of what have happend.

My question is how can I see this 3 hidden processes.

Cheers
Vlady

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA