Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Bug in chkrootkit ?

From: entmoot () gmx de
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:14:29 +0200

Hi,

On Wed Jul 30  01:30PM, Michael Weber wrote:
Hi there,
When starting "chkrootkit" (v 0.38) i get the Message:

"You have 4 process hidden for ps command" and the hint for a probably
installed "LKM Rootkit". So far, so good. "chkproc" with verbose option
enabled (-v) say:

[mw@zeus chkrootkit-0.38]# ./chkproc -v
PID 26194: not in ps output
PID 26195: not in ps output
PID 26196: not in ps output
PID 26197: not in ps output
You have 4 process hidden for ps command

That's fine, now we know the PID and can ask...

[mw@zeus chkrootkit-0.38]# ps p 26194
PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
26194 ?        S      0:00 named -u named

Seems to be the name daemon, that's okay - a little nameserver for the
local net (and only reachable by the local IP) is running. The 3 other
deliver the same output.Looks like a bug in "chkrootkit" but - how safe
can i be that this is really a bug and not a clever LKM? I guess that
a rootkit will not be named "youhavebeencracked"...

Does a 'ps auxww' also show the named processes? If not, it's possible,
that chkrootkit is right. You also can look with netstat, if 'named'
really just listening on your local network. Also, you can try to
connect to those ports, to get it a bit clearer, what it really is.

greets, andreas