Security Basics mailing list archives

Bug in chkrootkit ?

From: Michael Weber <mweber () hitwin com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:30:03 +0200

Hi there,

i am relatively new to security purposes and in this list. My name ist
Michael Weber, i'm Networkadmin from Germany and i hope you can help
me to solve this riddle:

When starting "chkrootkit" (v 0.38) i get the Message:

"You have 4 process hidden for ps command" and the hint for a probably
installed "LKM Rootkit". So far, so good. "chkproc" with verbose option
enabled (-v) say:

[mw@zeus chkrootkit-0.38]# ./chkproc -v
PID 26194: not in ps output
PID 26195: not in ps output
PID 26196: not in ps output
PID 26197: not in ps output
You have 4 process hidden for ps command

That's fine, now we know the PID and can ask...

[mw@zeus chkrootkit-0.38]# ps p 26194
PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
26194 ?        S      0:00 named -u named

Seems to be the name daemon, that's okay - a little nameserver for the
local net (and only reachable by the local IP) is running. The 3 other
deliver the same output.Looks like a bug in "chkrootkit" but - how safe
can i be that this is really a bug and not a clever LKM? I guess that
a rootkit will not be named "youhavebeencracked"...

Sorry for my english, feel free to correct it if necessary.

regards,
Michael Weber