Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Netcat (NC) Secure Remote Connections via authenication

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 22:16:51 +0530

On 27/06/03 18:01 -0500, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
<snip>
I have a requirement were I need to connect to a remote machine and
get a command prompt. We all know how to do this via netcat by
setting up a listening port. My concern is that I do not want to
leave the port open for anyone to connect.

Your concern is warranted.  It's never a good idea to just leave ports
open that blindly accept commands from anyone around the globe, no
matter how "secret" the port number used may be.
Cryptcat may be useful as well.

<snip>
*can* be run on a Win32 machine, which would solve your problem nicely
once you find a consultant able to build it for you using Cygwin.  Of
Prebuilt packages are available online. You can just download and
install those.

Devdas Bhagat

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm