Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Encrypted file system over Internet

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:11:49 -0700

  If you're referring to EFS (the "Encrypted File System" in Win 2K/XP),
then the answer is NO.  The encryption/decryption is local to the machine
where the drive volume is locally attached, and file data accessed over
the network travels unencrypted.  If you want encrypted transport, you
need to use IPSEC.

David Gillett