Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: source LAN port 137 dest 169.x

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:18:04 -0700

  I would bet that you have one or more (Windows) machines on
your local network that are failing to get a response from a
DHCP server when they need one.  When that happens, they assign
themselves a random address in the 169.254.x.x/16 block.
  They then proceed to advertise their presence via NetBIOS,
with a broadcast to UDP port 137.  Other Windows machines see
the broadcast, and attempt to respond to it.
  Having determined that the source address is not supposed to
be on the local 172.x.x.x subnet, these responding hosts are
directing their responses by way of the gateway address.  They'll
be dropped at the point where something recognizes that 169.254.x.x
is a bogon and not a routable destination.

David Gillett