Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ARP Spoof Question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:27:09 -0700

  Hardware MAC addresses are supposed to be globally unique.  All
that really matters, though, is that they be unique within a given
network.
  If you have duplicate MAC addresses on a shared-media network,
you can get weirdness like you describe, although if the TCP
sequence numbers are verified then it gets harder -- C's attempt
to disrupt the conversation may get discarded at the TCP layer.
  If you have duplicate MAC addresses on a *switched* network,
this looks to the switches like a loop in the network.  Most
implement STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) to detect loops and break
them by shutting down just enough interfaces to make the loop
go away, so odds are that one of the duplicates gets disconnected.

David Gillett