Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ARP Spoof Question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:38:49 -0700

  A switch should *always* be learning.  A destination MAC
address should always fall into one of two categories:

1.  I have it in my switch table (NOT *ARP*, per se), because
I saw traffic from it on interface X within the last N time-units.

2.  It's not in my tables -- send this packet to every port and
assume we'll see a packet from it soon so it will get added to
my switch table.

  Switch table entries could get created when ARP response packets
are seen -- or ARP requests, or DHCP broadcasts, or ....

David Gillett