Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sendmail 8.11 configuration/security issue - some clarification

From: theog <theog () theog org>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 18:08:53 +0200

Try virtusertable in sendmail (must be specified when doing m4 to the .mc file as FEATURE(virtusertable) ).

Cheers
TheOg

Liran Cohen

Ned Fleming wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 22:11:49 +0000, oobs3c02 () attbi com wrote:

Thanks for the input on this so far. To clarify, John65 () pobox com is exactly right in stating that I'm trying to stop the spoofing of my domain as the sender to my own domain (e.g. helpdesk@xyz to johnSmith@xyz where helpdesk is the spoofed sender). This is not an open relay server and the spam is not (as far as I can tell) as a result of any viruses guessing at accounts.

[snip]

I'm not sure that this problem can be resolved within sendmail config files but if anyone knows differently, please let me know.

Yes, you can do this in Sendmail. You can do just about anything in
Sendmail, provided you're willing to read and write hieroglyphics, uh,
I mean the config files. The fellows who recommended SMTP AUTH or
pop-before-smtp were correct.