Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need recommendations about IDS Systems

From: "Nicole Nicholson" <nanicholson () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:26:20 -0800

Jennifer-

Don't forget another important thing to ask about IDS... what to do with all the data it generates. I see you are requesting something that goes to a syslog server... do you already have tools in place to analyze that data?

IDSes (especially those placed outside a FW) generate a ton of data. Making sense out if it is extremely difficult if you are already short on resources. (Who isn't?) Coorelation between (multiple) IDS engines and Firewalls is key, and software vendor solutions in this space are still in their infancy.

If you are especially short on resources, you may want to considering outsourcing your security monitoring to a third party.... in which case you want to pick the MSSP before picking your IDS.

If you just need to have an IDS because your CXO said "we need to have an IDS" then Snort at $0 seems to be the best bang for your buck nowadays.

Cheers.

-Nicole