Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISA Contractor Rates?

From: chuck.bianco () ots treas gov
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:58:05 -0500

My original thoughts deal only with someone who contracts his services.  If
you are starting up your own company, that is a different thing which
substantially more risks and substantially more potential benefits (long
term).  I only based my thoughts on what I received as a contractor.  If
someone charges more or charges less, that is a personal decision.  Most
good companies pay at least 33% in benefits.  You also have to file
quarterly tax statements.  Most people also forget to save FICA (your amount
and the employer's amount), so the double your salary was just "make whole"
amount.  In addition, you only get paid for the hours you work, so time off
for doctor's and dental appointments, sick leave, getting your car serviced,
etc., come directly out of your pocket.

To each his own.  No sense keeping a thread like this going because there is
no right answer.  Every one decides what is best for him or herself.

Thanks

My opinion and not that of any government agency.

Chuck Bianco IT Examinations Manager
CISSP, CISA, FITR
(972) 277-9574
chuck.bianco () ots treas gov