Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Secure Documentation Management (Please Suggest Solutions)

From: "Phillips, Mike" <PhillipsMike () otc army mil>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:46:43 -0600

Several solutions come to mind-
- MS Outlook has an encryption process that will provide some level of
security enroute.
- Several projects that I am on use portals to share documents, with access
controlled by invitation and "rating" for what actions can be performed. An
authorized user can download and modify a file, but cannot replace the
original file on the server. The user can send the document to someone else
once it is downloaded, but the policy is that only what is on the server is
considered valid. I assume that all user actions are logged.

I am not a big fan of Microsoft as a security solutions provider, but that
is the environment we work within. I am sure someone can suggest better
tools.

Mike Phillips