Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Setting up an IDS system

From: Frank Barton <pauling () starwolf biz>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 21:50:48 -0500

1) Depending on how you set it up, I would say yes, also limit the users that can log in remotely. also concider using
a remote log tool, such as remote
syslogd, to avoid that need

2) none and yes. Ideally, you don't want the IDS station to be seen at all from the outside, concider using a one-way
ethernet cable (recieve no-send) on the
listening interface. Of course for this, you would need a second interface to connect to your network for either remote
log-in or remote syslogd or whatever
logging facility you're using

3) It is a good idea, I don't remember the statistic right now, but a large percentage of all attacks come from inside
your network. Once again, ideally, the
internal IDS shouldn't be detectable, but I see no problems running it physically on the same box on a seperate
interface, provided you're using the
afore-mentioned one-way ethernet cable.

Other suggestions, Nothing comes to mind, but depending on the size and topology of your network, you may want to
carfully concider where you want to put
internal IDSs.