Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Download Managers

From: "Brad" <gryphonn () austarnet com au>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:07:02 +1000

From:                   Leon Pholi <L.Pholi () secureinteractive com>
To:                     security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject:                Download Managers
Date sent:              Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:11:04 +1100

Hi,

Just wondering on thoughts about download managers- do they pose are
security risk? Any known to be trojaned? The one I use is GetRight, does
anyone know if this one has known security issues?

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Leon

Hi all

In respect to security issues (Trojans etc) I haven't heard of any
issues (except maybe Realdownload's past habit of sending personal
information back to Realnetworks. I am unsure as to whether this
still happens.

One download manager that seems to be favoured due to its *lack* of
add-ons is Download Expert. It can be found at these sites (probably
more):
http://www.yanew.com (home site)
http://www.wilders.org
http://www.webattack.com/get/expert.shtml

Accoring to TUCOWS, the following download managers are ad supported:
Download Accelerator Plus
Download Wonder
NetAnts

Go!Zilla will try to install add-ons and extras. Some are optional,
some aren't.

FreshDownload is a freeware program. However, in order to activate
the product, you must provide a valid e-mail address. This address is
added to the fresh Devices mailing lists to notify of updates to the
program you've downloaded. Reports suggest that it can be next to
impossible to remove yourself from these lists using standard Fresh
Devices unsubscribe methods.

HTH,
Cheers,
Brad