Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Download Managers

From: "Vlad Tsyrklevich" <vlad () zoomstats org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:26:46 -0800

Leon Pholi writes:
Hi,

Hi.
Just wondering on thoughts about download managers- do they pose are
security risk? Any known to be trojaned? The one I use is GetRight, does
anyone know if this one has known security issues?

I've heard good things about GetRight just so you know :-). I doubt it has any remote hole other then perhaps a buffer overflow in the length of a file name but I highly doubt that. The only security hole it might have is an accidental one (and this applies to all programs) but again as I said, I highly doubt it has one, I highly doubt few of the "big" (read: commonly used) have security holes/trojans because users would notice something and it would be found. -Vlad
--
-Vlad Tsyrklevich