Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: passwords

From: Jeff Harris <jharris () tahongawaka nu>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:00:05 -0800 (PST)

If you want to be really secure, you would make the user change the
password after every use. However, that is unrealistic. You're dealing
with users, who probably aren't as aware as we are of security. Users
don't want to change their passwords often, because it breaks their
habits, so I think 90 days, from the user's point, is acceptable.

That being said, you should ensure that the new password isn't the same as
the old password, and the new password isn't the same as the old password,
except for a number at the end (password1 changes to password2, etc.). If
the passwords are strong enough, you should be OK, imho.