Security Basics mailing list archives

MD5 Syntax problem

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:03:12 -0800

Trying to learn to use the md5 algorythm. When I create a test.txt file on my win2kpro box and run:

md5 test.txt

I get:

19046C9BB7E56993357AD71F511C325E

Which is great, but I'd like to be able to verify checksums against a previously saved hash which supposedly is like this

md5 -c 19046C9BB7E56993357AD71F511C325E -d test.txt

but then I get:

Error in signature specification.  Must be 32 Hex digits.

I counted carefully and there are 32 hex digits there so my syntax must be messed up, anyone know what happened?

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"For Sys Admins paranoia isn't a mental health problem, its a marketable job skill."