Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: permission

From: "Curt Rozeboom" <ntguru () fattony net>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:05:50 -0600

Never Never Never Never EVER give access like that to the root of ANY drive.

Unless you WANT something to go wrong with your system!

Make your programmers do it correctly and program it to function under the
correct security guidelines; they are after all "programmers".  If you allow
a script to access the Root of the drive with a "guest" acct, you are
opening up your system to all scripts, such as scripts that are targeted
towards the %systemroot%. Once that permission is set, you might just as
well just put a link on your web page inviting everyone to crash it, since
that is what you are in effect doing.

Curt
Consultant/Trainer