Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN using Redhat Linux 8.0

From: Chris Travers <chris () travelamericas com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 23:22:50 -0800

Hi Aman,

You have many many options.

My personal preference is to set up an IPSec tunnel between your external router at work and your home computer. Remember IPSec cannot pass through a NAT, so if you have a NAT at home you would have to tunnel nat-nat.

But SSH can also be used to do port forwarding. It could be more restrictive which could be good or bad.

Best Wishes and Good Luck,
Chris

Aman Raheja wrote:

Hi All
Here's the scenario:
I have a LAN at office (Win XP Prof, Slackware Linux, Redhat Linux 8.0)
connected to the outside world with a router.
RH Linux server has samba installed and configured.
I want to set up a VPN so that I can access the databse and files on my
office LAN from home. I have RH Linux at home too.

Suggestions and tips are welcome.
Also, it'll help is anyone points out some good website links and books for
the same.

Thanks alot
Aman