Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN using Redhat Linux 8.0

From: Alejandro Flores <aflores () ipad com br>
Date: 06 Feb 2003 08:56:28 -0200

        Hello Aman,

        You can use one of the following:
        1 - Freeswan (IPSEC)

        You can download IPsec at http://www.freeswan.org/. There's RPMs for
RedHat 8.0, and you'll not need to rebuild your kernel.

        2 - CIPE

        CIPE comes with Redhat linux. It's very easy to configure.
        http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Cipe+Masq.html
        (Howto on CIPE with Masquerade).
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/security-guide/s1-vpn-cipe.html
        (RedHat Security Guide)

        3 - PPTP

        Point to point tunneled protocol. You can Install a PPTP server on your
linux, and from home you can create a new DialUp connection using VPN
Adapter (with microsoft windows), or just download a PPTP client for
linux.

        4 - SSH

        Yes, you can use your SSH connection to create a VPN solution.
        http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/mini/ppp-ssh/index.html

Regards,
Alejandro

Hi All
Here's the scenario:
I have a LAN at office (Win XP Prof, Slackware Linux, Redhat Linux 8.0)
connected to the outside world with a router.
RH Linux server has samba installed and configured.
I want to set up a VPN so that I can access the databse and files on my
office LAN from home. I have RH Linux at home too.

Suggestions and tips are welcome.
Also, it'll help is anyone points out some good website links and books for
the same.

Thanks alot
Aman