Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall Hardware Recommendations

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:33:42 -0800

        Doc's *murmur* *spit* *bubble*, must read more material
*shudder*. Personally I like Microsoft documentation to cure my insomnia
but Cisco makes for good medicine also. I've never used the manager, so
next time I setup a PIX I'll have to load it on up and give it a shot. I
work with the Cisco routers CLI more then the PIX CLI, so when working
in the S-IOS CLI I'm a bit slow, like a moron reading a FAQ.

        You're absolutely right, the PIX isn't a wire speed firewall, if
there even is a thing. But personally using a PIX 525 in a high traffic
1000+ node environment it didn't become a bottleneck.

        I've never had a problem with the 'few' WatchGuard boxes I've
worked with, what are the circumstances of their 'crash and burn'?

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107