Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RDP Client for Windows

From: Sasha <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:37:21 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Chris Halverson wrote:

We are currently requiring the use of Remote Desktop Connections for
numerous users to access their office computers from home.  The
connections are running through a secure VPN tunnel and are working as
designed, with one exception.  We do not want users accessing there home
hard drives through this method.  With the RDP client by default the
sharing of the home drives is unchecked, but is very easy to enable it
and then users can transfer internal documents onto a home computer or
allow Viruses from the home computer onto the Corporate Network.

Even if this can stop a casual user (and a casual user unlikely know how
to share a disk), I think it is possible to write a program which will
encode any file as image which can be viewed on the office computer and
this image can be easily grabbed from the home screen and decoded back.
Maybe these programs are already available on internet?

Regards,
ASK