Security Basics mailing list archives

HW firewall for LAN

From: "Dan Duplito" <danduplito () techie com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:57:22 +0800

hi, forgive me if this is a newbie query -- i'm relatively new to the security industry.

we're looking to getting a HW firewall between our LAN and internal servers, similar to the one we have for our DMZ.

i'm just wondering if a Cisco PIX (515 or 525) firewall is not overkill for a 3000+ user-base LAN/WAN network (i've
read the specs from Cisco site but nothing was mentioned regarding user-base limit/capacity for each firewall). traffic
will mostly constitute the usual Internet, mail, dns and telnet/ssh access to the servers.

is there a rule-of-thumb for determining the appropriate firewall CPU speed and memory for a particular number of users?

TIA for the help and inputs,
dan