Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: CISSP Boot Camps

From: salgak () speakeasy net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:05:08 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen McCauley [mailto:smccauley () cox net]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 05:10 PM
To: patrickbeam () hushmail com, security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: CISSP Boot Camps

There really is no way to cram 3+ years worth of security experience
into 7 days of training. I suspect the CISSP boot camp will expose
people to the '30 mile wide' (10 Security Domains) body of knowledge,
but could only go 2 inches deep ...per domain.

When I took the CISSP test, it asked questions much deeper than 2 inches
per domain. They (ISC)2 REALLY don't want paper CISSP's. You can't
simply pay for this cert.

The concept behind any boot camp is, even if you have no experience, you
can pass "the" test at the end of our boot camp. Without any actualy
security industry experience, people shouldn't be able to take the test
anyway. Are they screening people for the minimum experience?

Also, they only have 7 days to get this infor out there. If you 'don't
get' any concept, they simply press on (and there goes your test). They
have a ton of material to go over.

About the only "REAL" use of a CISSP Bootcamp is for a long-time security professional to do just that: a cram prior to
the test, when you don't have enough free time to put the months of study in beforehand. .