Security Basics mailing list archives

Security scanning tools

From: "Jack Solomon" <solzjack43 () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:04:34 +0000

All

Im currently testing new scanning tools to replace nessus. I ran ISS system scanner and Micro$oft Baseline Security analyst on a win2000 box and compared the results to the regular nessus scan. Each product reports different things...

- Nessus says everything is cool
- MS BSA reports that patch ms02-032 has not been applied
- System scanner finds a nonexistent modem, no virus software (as if!) but no patches

When I logon to the machine and try to run the MS update routine through IE, it reports no patches to be applied. Am I going crazy or using the tools wrong? surely they should all report the same vulnerabilities?

My questions to the group are:
1. What tool[s] should I look to buy that that correctly reports security vulnerabilties with the least false positives?
2. Are false positives a known [feature] of all scanning tools?

Jack