Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Installing WinPcap for Windows XP

From: "Damon McMahon" <inst_karma () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:29:18 +1100

The WinPcap driver can't bind to PPP links on Windows NT4/2000/XP, due to Microsoft's broken implentation of PPP.

See http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/faq.htm#Q-16

[snip]
Windows NT4/2000: the packet driver works correctly on Ethernet networks. We were not able to make it working on PPP WAN links, because of binding problems on the NDISWAN adapter.
[snip]

I'm trying to run Ethereal so I can see what's going on with my modem. I've tried to install >WinPcap as I have been told I'm supposed to but I've not been able to find the .inf file to install a >driver like it was reported I need to do. I've looked on Google and at WinPcaps webpage to try >to find out if there may be any thing that I've missed, but from what I've looked at, everything >appears to be installed correctly, but it isn't working.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon Battis
Network Engineering Student
Johnson & Wales University