Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Ad-aware

From: "Bob Beck" <goodfela26 () finneganfamily net>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 09:19:43 -0500

As stated already, Ad-aware is only free for personal use. However, I
wouldn't rely on just 1 program to detect these trojans. I use both ad-aware
and spybot search and destroy (spybotsd) and I've noticed when running both
of them that there are some files detected by ad-aware that aren't detected
by spybotsd and vice-versa. They both work very well, but when used in
tandem, they compliment each other nicely.

For corporate use, ad-aware may be ok alone since the professional version
will detect registry changes and such in real-time. When it comes to
detecting spyware, trojans, etc., I don't think you can be too careful.

Good Luck,

Bob