Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Which CERT to get

From: "meaculpa" <meaculpa () punkass com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:28:35 +0100

   I would like to get some opinions on which cert would be
better to get.  I know this has been discussed a bit here on
the list, but I have a couple specific certs I mind.
I do not really know the differences between these two certs, but since you
state you want to be more technical, then I don't advise either one of them.

If it is technical skills you are after, then you must think about what
area. Intrusions Detecion, Firewalls, Perimeter Security, Host Security,
System Hardening, Forensics, Auditing etc. All areas with a lot of technical
details (and management aspects as well, don't forget about those pesky
procedures and such). If you want technical certs, I find SANS/GIAC a good
path. Currently I am pursuing the Incident Handling cert. Lotsa technical
details. These certifications are failry product independant.

However, suppliers have security certs as well.

So I guess it boils down to the question: What technical skills do you want
to proof with the certification?

MeaCulpa