Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VPN's - Firewall's and Security

From: "HOULE, FRANCIS" <francis.houle () bell ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:29:45 -0400

Hello Christopher,

Without using extended authentication (RADIUS, TACACS) you cannot apply
access-lists to vpn clients.  You can do so between two sites using
PIX`s but not with VPN clients.  The thing you need to do is use a
RADIUS or TACACS server for the VPN clients and you push an access-list
number when client connect to the PIX.  Specify your matching
access-list in the PIX and make sure the command sysopt conneciton
permit-ipsec is not there so that the trafic goes through your
access-lists.  If you try to do the same without XAUTH you will not be
able to filter your trafic.

The reason why by default you will not be able to go from vpn clients to
DMZ is because no nat 0 statements are defined from this interface to
this subnet...  It`s the only reason..  You can use sysopt ipsec
pl-compatible to bypass the nat features and access all subnets around
the PIX.

Final solution:  Use a Server for External Authentication.

Have any other questions, feel free to ask! :)

--
Francis Houle