Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VPN's - Firewall's and Security

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:38:36 -0700

  Two-part answer:

1. The PIX 515 can have up to 6 interfaces; put the VPN server
on a fourth interface as a second DMZ, so traffic from VPN clients
must traverse the PIX to get anywhere else.  [If you have the
515-ER, the software is limited to three interfaces.  In that
case, put the back end of the VPN server on your DMZ -- not as good,
but probably good enough.]

2. You probably have to allow port 135 between VPN clients and
the internal network, so this would not have done anything to
keep blaster out.

David Gillett