Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Exchange Server and External Access

From: salgak () speakeasy net
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:38:16 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Cherian M. Palayoor [mailto:cpalayoor () cwalkergroup com]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 11:53 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: FW: Exchange Server and External Access

Thanks for the suggestions.

Based on the feedback so far, there appears to 2 school of thought....

Solution 1) Have Exchange setup in a FE/BE configuration with the FE in the
DMZ and the BE in the internal LAN. Have the FE               poll the BE
through a secure link using SSL.

Problem : Too expensive, requires Exchange Enterprise and not to mention
Windows Advanced Server.
          Also it may not resolve the problem as what I am primarily hoping
to achieve here is faster access time. We                 presently  have
to traverse through  a WAN cloud and 2 firewalls to get to the Internet and
the DMZ.

Solution 2) Move the Exchange Server to the DMZ and set it up either as an
OWA or POP3 Server.

Problem : This would affect internal user access speed and also the OWA
option would negatively impact users fed on a diet of Outlook's convenience.

Is it possible to run a third part Server like possibly Sendmail  to front
end Exchange ?

Unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, I'd stay FAR away from Sendmail.

The performance dropoff of a mail server in the DMZ is negligible, and OWA allows the same access as Outlook does with
the exception of Personal File Folders.

Why not set it up as both OWA and POP3: that way, your users can use the mail client of their choice OR a WWW interface
when their box is not nearby. . .

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com