Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Exchange Server and External Access

From: "Gregory M. Brown" <gbrown () alvalearning com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:55:37 -0600

Hello...
I did this very thing today.  It's all quite simple.

You need to set up a VPN.  Period.  There are many variations and flavors of VPN out there.  The MS solution is free.
We are using the VPN solution from our firewall provider.  It required license purchasing that was completely
reasonable.  My Exchange box that lives behind the firewall is configured for DHCP and NAT runs on the firewall.  There
is a static mapping in DHCP (within scope) in the private 10.x.x.x range for the Exchange box.

DSL, Cable Modem, other high speed access solution:
Once the VPN tunnel is alive, simply have the Outlook client configured for yourmailserver in the Exchange properties
within Outlook.  When a user clicks on their Outlook icon they will get their full experience.  VPN makes it as though
they are on the LAN at the office.  If the remote users are using company configured machines, you don't need to do
anything, other than configure VPN.  It may seem a little slower or faster than in the office.  It all depends on your
access speed.

Dial Up:
Have the users dial up their ISP.  They should then connect their VPN tunnel.  Instruct them to use their browser to
access OWA.  (Yep, ya gotta configure OWA.)

Please note that the key here is VPN.  The only ports you need to concern yourself with are VPN ports.  MS VPN needs
1723, 53 (GRE) and 47 (IKE).  I hope I didn't mix those up!  My firewall needed only 2 ports opened.  Simply get the
info from your vendor.  Since VPN is extremely secure, the need for an SSL certificate on OWA becomes moot.

Turn POP3 off.  That's right.  Right click POP3 and disable it.  End of issue.

The DMZ should only be populated with a smart host.  You can set up a MS SMTP server in the DMZ with a dedicated SMTP
connector to Exchange.  In this capacity all port 25 traffic will go to the SMTP box first.  After all anti-spam and
anti-virus software has had its way with inbound or outbound traffic, the mail is then delivered.  This is a completely
respected deployment.  SMTP comes free with any MS 2000 OS (NT 4 as well.).  The Exchange front end/back end idea is
all cool, but ya gotta deal with MS Exchange licensing.  Just be sure to turn off every non-relevant service on the
SMTP smart host.  The smart host deployment is great for anti-spam and anti-virus services.  My next task is to deploy
just such a configuration.  I currently have CA running on my Exchange box.  CA was on top of those viruses last week.
I had no problems.  My hat is off to them!

That's how I did it.  This mail is proof it works.
gb