Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Physical Computer Location

From: Tim Donahue <TDonahue () haynesconstruction com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:48:43 -0400

Some programs, like Fluke's Network Inspector, are able of printing out
entire network maps with the port locations on each switch.  Using one of
these programs, assuming you know which port goes to which location, you can
keep track of the location of the PC.

Tim Donahue

PS. I would also consider making a policy that says all computer moves must
be done by the IT department.  I hate nothing more than getting a call from
a user saying their computer doesn't work, and I find out that the user
moved the computer to a new cubicle on their own inciative where we don't
have a live network jack.