Security Basics mailing list archives

Exchange Server and External Access

From: "Cherian M. Palayoor" <cpalayoor () cwalkergroup com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:25:58 -0700

Hi,

We presently use the Std edition of Exchange 2000 as a mail server for our
internal users, behind the Firewall.

However we would like to grant mailbox access to external users outside the
Firewall.

What would be the most secure and efficient method of accomplishing this.

One stream of thought that I have been entertaining is having a separate
Exchange/Mail  Server on the DMZ.

Now this solution would result in having to maintain 2 separate mailboxes for
internal and external users. This creates problems for users who would access
their emails from both inside and outside the office.

How can I workaround this problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards

CP