Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Ethics Question

From: Suzanne Rodday <srodday () alum wellesley edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:39:07 -0400

You might want to read the article on Security Focus (http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/179) as this article talks about a similar situation... "The Sad Take of a Security Whistleblower"

-Suzanne

At 2:04 PM -0400 8/21/03, Adam Newhard wrote:
Anonymously report it to that company...either through untraceable email or
usps...preferably usps as you're guaranteed it won't be sent back through
you.  Your only concern is that your old boss knows you mentioned it so
that's the only way it's traceable to you (that and bugtraq mail is
googled...a quick search on there and there's viable evidence of what you
may do in the future for your old boss to accuse you of whatever he may feel
plausible...i.e. if someone uses the exploit well then that certainly sucks
for you if you mention it).  if other people have mentioned it to him then
that's another story.

do it anonymously if you do decide to do it...your concern shouldn't be
getting public recognition.
adam
Adam Newhard
Microstrain, Inc.
If vegetarians eat vegetables, watch out for humanitarians