Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Multiple IP's (IP Aliasing)

From: "Arturo \"Buanzo\" Busleiman" <buanzo () buanzo com ar>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:03:11 -0300 (ART)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Fernando Gont wrote:

The source IP address is chosen by IP according to the outgoing interface
that will be used to send the packet...

..if none is specified, and after the route is selected. BUT you can
CHOOSE thru which interface you want to go out by specifying a source IP
Address.  I do this all the time when I need to check remotely if a NAT
between an external and an internal interface is working. (traceroute and
ping).

However, why do you want to use the aliases? Just because you have them
doesn't mean that you *must* *use* them.

It's a point, but surely the original poster has a reason. This is a
security-basics lists, I'm SURE he has one.

--
Arturo "Buanzo" Busleiman - www.buanzo.com.ar - GNU/Linux Documentation
GNU's es_AR Team Leader - PGP/GnuPG Key available at horowitz.surfnet.nl
Casilla de eMail _GRATIS_ de 21Mb Webmail/POP/IMAP/SMTP en www.daleclick.com