Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Purging Blaster.worm

From: "Bob Walker" <bobwalker8 () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:21:41 -0500

Maybe I am a little sensitive to this, being the firewall guy and
all, but come on people.>>

Hmmm... Maybe so  :-)

My point here was simply that I have yet to have a customer walk in the
door that was infected who was running a broadband connection behind a
firewall.  All (or most)were simple broadband (primarily cable)
connections, wide open.  A further point was that we all have a lot of
work to do here to educate folks, whether it's the home user or the
corporate exec, about security and the necessity of applying patches as
they are made available.  But seriously, how many of these users are
going to do that on their own?  By your own admission, your infection
came from within your organization from unpatched laptops, and there you
are definitely correct, no firewall in the world would have prevented
that.

But consider this too.  No matter how timely we do the patches, at some
point, there is a vulnerability discovered prior to the patch being
available.  Hopefully, that vulnerability is discovered by a good guy
and not a bad guy, and the patch developed and made available for the
rest of us good guys.  But (reading the lowlife that released this
worm's mind here), perusing the microsoft web site for patches, and
knowing the mindset of most users and the alacrity of applying said
patches, that surely gives the bad guy a leg up on most folks.  Can we
ever expect to get ahead of the bad guys here without some kind of
firewall that gives us that "little bit of time to slow it down and
apply the patches"?

Bob