Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Nessus/keyloggers

From: pablo gietz <pablo.gietz () nuevobersa com ar>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:17:42 -0300

Be careful

A Lesson I have learned some time ago, from the management. They say
“You not need to kill me to demonstrate that you can do it”. So better
mount a presentation with test machines.

netsec novice wrote:

I would like to demonstrate the importance of physical security to
management by presenting information I was able to easily obtain by
accessing one of our 'publically' available PCs residing on our
private network. What I had in mind was to run a keylogger and perhaps
nessus from a machine for a short period of time and present the
output. I pictured installing a keylogger and a reconaissance type
tool on a thumbdrive - leave it there for a period of days and then
retrieve. Does anyone have suggestions on a keylogger or nessus type
tool that could be easily installed on portable media that could then
be carried away for analysis? I want to provide as realistic scenario
as possible. IE - someone leaves a thumb drive attached for a day for
keylogger or someone walks in and powers the PC off and then boots of
a Linux based CD to run a scan and then easily collects data?

Thanks for any ideas!!

.

La información y archivos contenidos en este mensaje son confidenciales y para utilización exclusiva de los
destinatarios consignados. Si Usted no reviste ese carácter, no se encuentra autorizado para divulgar,
copiar,distribuir o retener todo o parte de la informacion y archivos, y deberá notificarlo de inmediato al remitente y
eliminarlo de su sistema. Muchas gracias.