Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Nessus/keyloggers

From: "Manuel Lanctôt" <inventaire () novalis-inc com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:06:16 -0400

-----Message d'origine-----
De : netsec novice [mailto:netsec9 () hotmail com]
Envoyé : 7 août, 2003 21:35
À : security-basics () securityfocus com
Objet : Nessus/keyloggers

I would like to demonstrate the importance of physical security to
management by presenting information I was able to easily obtain by
accessing one of our 'publically' available PCs residing on our private
network.  What I had in mind was to run a keylogger and perhaps
nessus from
a machine for a short period of time and present the output.  I pictured
installing a keylogger and a reconaissance type tool on a
thumbdrive - leave
it there for a period of days and then retrieve.  Does anyone have
suggestions on a keylogger or nessus type tool that could be easily
installed on portable media that could then be carried away for
analysis?  I
want to provide as realistic scenario as possible.  IE - someone leaves a
thumb drive attached for a day for keylogger or someone walks in
and powers
the PC off and then boots of a Linux based CD to run a scan and
then easily
collects data?

Thanks for any ideas!!

Just so you know, the bootable Linux distro Knoppix [http://www.knoppix.org]
has nessus/nessusd included, as well as many other networks auditing and
security apps.

--
Manuel Lanctôt