Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Port 5000 and Windows XP

From: "dos cerveza" <dos_cerveza () mail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:27:53 -0500

Port 5000 TCP is used together with port 1900 UDP for UPnP (universal plug and play). It is open on a default Windows
XP install.
If you don't use it (and you probably don't) you can easily disable the mentioned ports from listening by opening
'services.msc' from a run box and stop the folowwing services:
'Universal Plug and Play Device Host' &
'SSDP Discovery Service'. Be sure to set them to 'disabled' or 'manual' to prevent them from starting up on a reboot.
http://www.grc.com has a nice article about this too.

Sincerely
Dos
I had reason to look at a Windows XP box and discovered port 5000 open
on
it.  Subsequent research has shown that this is normal (albeit stupid).

However, when I connect to port 5000, I get an "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad
Request".  Also, fport /ap shows port 5000 open, but will not associate
an
application with it.  Am I overly paranoid or has this box been
compromised?

Thanks

--
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup