Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Getting In

From: Jason Armstrong <jarmstrong () technicacorp com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:21:43 -0400

This might be stating the obvious, but from my own
perspective it comes down to a few things. (Also,
I don't know all of the details of your situation,
So take what you can from this and discard the rest.
Perhaps you'll end up discarding all of it.    ;)

Education - At the very least you should be educating
        yourself as much as possible so that when an
        opportunity does present itself, you will be
        prepared to seize it. The SANS InfoSec Reading
        Room http://www.sans.org/rr/ is a great place
        to start. Also, look into buying an SSCP
        (Systems Security Certified Practioner) book.
        It's also a good place to start when learning
        about security basics. Any security-related
        certifications you can acquire will certainly
        help. Additionally, a college degree can
        help as well, but is no longer a guarantee
        (not that it ever was, it just greases the
        skids a bit if you know what I mean.)

Network - It's all in who you know or _get_ to know.
        I started with my current employer and worked
        in the WAN group for the first two years. After
        proving my value as an employee, I was allowed
        (at my request) to move into the Information
        Assurance group. I guess this could be distilled
        down to: get a job in the field (any job, anywhere
        in the field) and work hard to prove your worth.
        You have to really want it. Post-dotcom bust,
        things are very competitive all over. You have to
        kind of blaze your own trail so-to-speak and make
        it happen. Once you're in IT make every effort,
        however small it may seem at the time, to move
        closer to the InfoSec arena.

I think it can safely be said that there is no recipe
for getting into this area of IT. It's a mixture of
persistence, determination, intelligence and some good
old fashioned luck. Being in the proverbial right place
at the right time.

But then again, I guess there is the cold, hard reality
that even all of that may not be enough.

Best of Luck,
Jason