Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: file transfer over outbound port 80?

From: "Dana Epp" <dana () vulscan com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:08:13 -0700

I actually do this right now. I simply set my ssh daemon on port 80, and use
scp to covertly bypass most standard firewalls. Unless they do payload
inspection, you can normally pierce the firewall fine in this manner.

ie: scp -P 80 user () corp sshd-server com:/get/some/file/ .

Short of that, you could probably simply redirect a HTTPS stream on port 80,
and use some sort of auth to your main server and upload/download via that
protocol. A lot more work... and not as flexible as the SSH method.

One thing to consider is that some firewalls may be using a transparent
proxy, and you might only be getting through by that proxy. If this is the
case, there is a good chance these methods will not work for you.

---
Regards,
Dana M. Epp