Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address

From: "Jason Coombs" <jasonc () science org>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:07:13 -1000

you can't determine conclusively whether a port is 'open' from a remote
location. what actions does your CPU take when bits arrive on an exposed
network interface? If you don't know, then you can't tell whether a port is
open. judging a port to be 'open' because it responds to the TCP 3-way
handshake and 'closed' otherwise is wrong, even if you only care about TCP and
ignore UDP.