Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address

From: Bradley Adams <bradley.adams () cas-inc com>
Date: 7 Aug 2003 22:00:20 -0000

A great tool that I use for this type of "information gathering" is NMAP.
Go to http://www.insecure.org It does a lot more than what you want
however it has a simple command that you can use to see if a single port
is open on an IP address and you can use other types of "pings" other than
ICMP such as ACK and SYN. check it out. There is a windows version
available however I don't know if it does command line. You can always
install cygwin and emulate a unix/linux box on your windows box... go to
http://www.cygwin.com then you can use the cygwin unix emulation command
line version of NMAP.

l8tr
Bradley Adams
bradley.adams () cas-inc com
"You will hardly know who I am or what I mean"
"Linux... Power in the hands of a few"