Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Anit-Virus Software

From: "Ian" <e2chameleon () btopenworld com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:54:52 +0100

I haven't used any of these but have stumbled upon them while looking for
other things.

Ositis have an appliance called eShield with Antivirus (used to be called
AVStripper). You have a choice of using McAfee, Sophos, Trend or Panda for
your AV solution and it is set to automatically update every hour. I'm not
sure if you can use a multiple AV products together (like in MIMEsweeper
from Clearswift).  It works with HTTP, FTP, SMTP, NNTP, IMAP, POP3 and
SOCKS. They also have appliances that that includes AntiVirus, AntiSpam and
web filtering. It works with a number of protocols (for both web and email).
You can get more info at
http://www.ositis.com/english/products/eShield/pd_eshield_en.asp.

Panda do an appliance using their own scanning engine which works with HTTP,
FTP, SMTP, NNTP, IMAP, POP3 and SOCKS. Updates are daily. More info
at(http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/appliance/).

FortiNet have a couple of content security appliances that include
antivirus, Firewall / IDS / IPS / VPN and web filtering. It looks like it's
their own AV solution. More info at
(http://www.fortinet.com/enterprise.html).

ServGate (http://www.servgate.com/content.asp?page_id=12) also do a multiple
solution appliance but use McAfee as the scanning product.

McAfee Webshield includes limited content checking with along with virus
scanning for SMTP, HTTP, FTP and POP3. More info at
(http://www.networkassociates.com/us/products/mcafee/antivirus/internet_gate
way/ws_appliances.htm).

Aladdin eSafe (anti-virus and content security for email)  is available on a
number of hardware appliances and as a "virtual appliance". You take an old
server a install and hardened Linux OS and the eSafe product onto it
(http://www.esafe.com/esafe/eSafe4_faster.asp?cf=tl).

SurfinGate for Email from Finjan
(http://www.finjan.com/products/surfingate_mail.cfm) includes an appliance
option and uses both its own heurustics engine and the McAfee scanning
engine.

I'm sure that there are a few others out there too.

Ian.

e2chameleon Information Security Resource.
http://www.e2chameleon.btinternet.co.uk