Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: XP Box appears to be compromised

From: James Fields <jvfields () tds net>
Date: 07 Aug 2003 09:12:21 -0400

Put the sniffer on it - don't take the attitude that the sniffer is the
"hard" way or too time-consuming.  Slap ethereal or something similar
right on the box and capture the activity.  Even if you don't look at
all the packet details you'll get source and destination addresses and
port numbers which can be helpful.

Don't forget netstat to view active ports.  "Vision" from Foundstone
takes netstat a bit further, associating those ports to specific
executables / processes.