Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: sftp vs ftp with ssl

From: Glenn English <ghe () slsware com>
Date: 06 Aug 2003 14:53:50 -0600

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 11:53, subscribe wrote:
Hi list,
I've been trying to get up an secure ftp server on linux platform,
pureftpd.
This utillity support both sftp and ftp tls/ssl. Is there anyone who has
any experiance with secure ftp servers on any platforms? any
suggestions?
or pointers? Im not sure how firewalls will react on these two types,
regarding
ports etc?

I've been using sftp (and rsync via ssh) for some time now (OpenSSH on
Linux).

My firewall has just one hole in it: TCP, port 22. Login from the
Internet is allowed only by RSA key.

I trust it completely, and I've never had a hint of trouble from it. I
claim you don't need anything more than the OpenSSH package (and maybe
rsync).

The only problem I've had is that I still have to keep ftp around for
some of the webmasters with *nix-challenged software.

--
Glenn English
ghe () slsware com